I have been LOVING the heatwave we are having in London at the moment and have been making the most of it by chilling out in the sun (of course with my dogs and torts), and enjoying some vegan summer treats. Here are my favourite 3 that I wanna share with you.
1. Fresh lemon and lime water
I nearly always start my days of with a mug of freshly squeezed hot lemon water, because as my mum has been telling me for years, lemon is a great antioxidant and helps to push our bodies to the required ph alkaline state; which in english means it makes you feel great! In this hot weather, a chilled version of this is perfect. One of my favourite drinks has always been lemon and lime flavoured water, and nothing beats the natural version!
What’s great is that this super healthy drink is so yummy and also really easy to make:
- Slice 1 lemon and 1 lime in half
- Squeeze half of each into a glass
- Pour in water and stir
- Decorate glass with 1 slice of lemon and 1 slice of lime (if you’re a little OCD about making your drinks look pretty like me)
2. The summer smoothie
Fresh smoothies are so good for you, and also happen to be incredibly yummy; win, win. This morning, I created my first Jade’s Vegan Diary smoothie recipe: the summer smoothie. One word, yummy!
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 kiwis
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of pomegranate
- Chop bananas and kiwis into chunks
- Put all fruit and almond milk into a blender/ smoothie maker
- Blend until smooth
- Pour into a glass and sprinkle pomegranate on top (love those bad boys!)
3. Orange sorbet ice cream
Orange sorbet is the perfect desert for a hot summer evening, and I was really surprised when I found out how easy it is to make. I think I will definitely be having a lot of orange sorbet this summer!
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup/ carton soya milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Chop oranges into chunks
- Blend until smooth
- Add in soya milk and vanilla essence
- Blend until mixed together and smooth
- Pour into tub and put into freezer
- Stir after one hour (to prevent crystallising)
- Leave in the freezer for another hour before serving
- Add raspberries and pomegranate (mainly for decoration, but also because they’re yummy )